Can't get Dropout.ini to work

Jan 15, 2012 at 9:44 PM

Hello.

I have tried all kinds of configuration, with/without remarks, with/without [Headlines], tail \ in path etc. etc. etc.
Can anybody tell me why i'm unable to make Dropout.exe use the ini file?

Folder:  C:\Program Files\Dropout
Program:  Dropout.exe
INI:  Dropout.ini

Dropout.ini CONTENT:
[Location]
Search Directory=C:\gronit.files\

P.S. It seems NOT to support mapped drives?
P.P.S. It seems NOT to support UNC paths?

BR
Martin

Coordinator
Jan 16, 2012 at 9:40 AM

The Program Files directory is protected in Windows 7 so you can't create the index files, add a location for the index in the ini file like so:

Search Index=C:\TMP\Index

The directory can be anywhere the exe will have write access to.

On 16/01/2012 9:44 AM, martinbirchdk wrote:

Hello.

I have tried all kinds of configuration, with/without remarks, with/without [Headlines], tail \ in path etc. etc. etc.
Can anybody tell me why i'm unable to make Dropout.exe use the ini file?

Folder: C:\Program Files\Dropout
Program: Dropout.exe
INI: Dropout.ini

Dropout.ini CONTENT:
[Location]
Search Directory=C:\gronit.files\

P.S. It seems NOT to support mapped drives?
P.P.S. It seems NOT to support UNC paths?

BR
Martin

Jan 16, 2012 at 11:03 PM

Thanks for the quick replay.

But I am running the tests as administrator = I have full rights. Could you please reply with a real/working Dropout.ini file and an exact command string on how to use Dropout.ini together with Dropout.exe?

Besides that do you know if...
- Droupout.exe supports mapped drives?
- Dropout.exe supports UNC paths?

BR
Martin

Coordinator
Jan 17, 2012 at 2:18 AM

What version of Windows are you running? Even an administrator can't create folders/files in Program files with out the UAC prompt.

He is the contents of the ini I used to test it:

[Location]
Search Directory=C:\Dropbox
Search Index=C:\TMP\Index

On 17/01/2012 11:03 AM, martinbirchdk wrote:

Thanks for the quick replay.

But I am running the tests as administrator = I have full rights. Could you please reply with a real/working Dropout.ini file and an exact command string on how to use Dropout.ini together with Dropout.exe?

Besides that do you know if...
- Droupout.exe supports mapped drives?
- Dropout.exe supports UNC paths?

BR
Martin

Jan 17, 2012 at 8:05 PM
Edited Jan 17, 2012 at 8:07 PM

It works now! Thanks for the... inspriation. It must have been a missing ending backslash "M:\" i think.

Next question: The results... if there are more hits than the allowed Max results. What is then shown? Personally I would be interested in the xx NEWEST documents, but a sorted after parameter would complete the tool.

Thanks for the help and thanks a lot for a easy/minimalistic tool that does the job! Is there any way we can donate or send you a late christmas present?

BR
Martin

Jan 17, 2012 at 8:59 PM

Is there anyway to prevent re-indexing every time you open dropout? Some sort of timestamp so that indexing is only xx hours?

BR
Martin

Coordinator
Jan 17, 2012 at 9:53 PM
No, not at the moment. The indexing happens on a separate thread so you don't have to wait for it to complete to search.

On 18/01/2012 8:59 AM, martinbirchdk wrote:

Is there anyway to prevent re-indexing every time you open dropout? Some sort of timestamp so that indexing is only xx hours?

BR
Martin