I guess I'm missing something: How do you reference the root of a USB drive?

Sep 22, 2013 at 8:17 PM
I've used this tool many times, but I've never had call to try and search from
root "/". For example, you submitted Dropout for portableapps. However, portableapps are in subfolders. So, How do I run Dropout from the subfolder and index the entire USB drive when the drive letter isn't likely to be the same each time I run Dropput?
Sep 22, 2013 at 10:39 PM

It should just work, it uses itself as a reference point for the paths, i.e. the location of the dropout.exe. It doesn't actually store the C:\ or D:\ part in the path.

On 23/09/2013 5:17 AM, guessing wrote:

I've used this tool many times, but I've never had call to try and search from
root "/". For example, you submitted Dropout for portableapps. However, portableapps are in subfolders. So, How do I run Dropout from the subfolder and index the entire USB drive when the drive letter isn't likely to be the same each time I run Dropput?

Sep 23, 2013 at 2:32 AM
So it should index the entire usb drive, regardless of what folder it in (without the .ini file)?

I added this to the .ini file.

[Location]
Search Directory=H:\

It is currently indexing the entire USB drive, in the past it would only do this if I placed it in the / folder (I''ve never tried tried setting up the .ini file before). Otherwise, it would index the files in the current folder only. I don't mean to be dense here, but half a dozen sites did a write up on the app and none of them address the .ini file.
Sep 23, 2013 at 2:36 AM
If you use the ini you can use a different location to search but then it won't work if you have different drives on different computers, i.e. D:\ and then E:\

I don't really use the ini file, I just put the exe in the root location I want to search and it does the rest.

On 23/09/2013 11:32 AM, guessing wrote:

So it should index the entire usb drive, regardless of what folder it in (without the .ini file)?

I added this to the .ini file.

[Location]
Search Directory=H:\

It is currently indexing the entire USB drive, in the past it would only do this if I placed it in the / folder (I''ve never tried tried setting up the .ini file before). Otherwise, it would index the files in the current folder only. I don't mean to be dense here, but half a dozen sites did a write up on the app and none of them address the .ini file.

Sep 23, 2013 at 2:41 AM
And this is how I've always used it. But I noticed that Dropout was submitted/offered as a portable app. So I thought there was a way to put it in it's own subfolder, like all the other portableapps, and Dropput would still index the entires USB drive from it's subfolder location.
Sep 23, 2013 at 2:44 AM
Portable in the sense that it works irrespective of the actual drive that the USB gets mapped to but not part of the Portable Apps suite.

On 23/09/2013 11:41 AM, guessing wrote:

And this is how I've always used it. But I noticed that Dropout was submitted/offered as a portable app. So I thought there was a way to put it in it's own subfolder, like all the other portableapps, and Dropput would still index the entires USB drive from it's subfolder location.

Sep 23, 2013 at 2:47 AM
OK, thanks for the dialogue.