I guess I'm missing something: How do you reference the root of a USB drive?

Sep 22, 2013 at 8:17 PM
I've used this tool many times, but I've never had call to try and search from
root "/". For example, you submitted Dropout for portableapps. However, portableapps are in subfolders. So, How do I run Dropout from the subfolder and index the entire USB drive when the drive letter isn't likely to be the same each time I run Dropput?
Coordinator
Sep 22, 2013 at 10:39 PM

It should just work, it uses itself as a reference point for the paths, i.e. the location of the dropout.exe. It doesn't actually store the C:\ or D:\ part in the path.

On 23/09/2013 5:17 AM, guessing wrote:

I've used this tool many times, but I've never had call to try and search from
root "/". For example, you submitted Dropout for portableapps. However, portableapps are in subfolders. So, How do I run Dropout from the subfolder and index the entire USB drive when the drive letter isn't likely to be the same each time I run Dropput?

Sep 23, 2013 at 2:32 AM
So it should index the entire usb drive, regardless of what folder it in (without the .ini file)?

I added this to the .ini file.

[Location]
Search Directory=H:\

It is currently indexing the entire USB drive, in the past it would only do this if I placed it in the / folder (I''ve never tried tried setting up the .ini file before). Otherwise, it would index the files in the current folder only. I don't mean to be dense here, but half a dozen sites did a write up on the app and none of them address the .ini file.
Coordinator
Sep 23, 2013 at 2:36 AM
If you use the ini you can use a different location to search but then it won't work if you have different drives on different computers, i.e. D:\ and then E:\

I don't really use the ini file, I just put the exe in the root location I want to search and it does the rest.

On 23/09/2013 11:32 AM, guessing wrote:

So it should index the entire usb drive, regardless of what folder it in (without the .ini file)?

I added this to the .ini file.

[Location]
Search Directory=H:\

It is currently indexing the entire USB drive, in the past it would only do this if I placed it in the / folder (I''ve never tried tried setting up the .ini file before). Otherwise, it would index the files in the current folder only. I don't mean to be dense here, but half a dozen sites did a write up on the app and none of them address the .ini file.

Sep 23, 2013 at 2:41 AM
And this is how I've always used it. But I noticed that Dropout was submitted/offered as a portable app. So I thought there was a way to put it in it's own subfolder, like all the other portableapps, and Dropput would still index the entires USB drive from it's subfolder location.
Coordinator
Sep 23, 2013 at 2:44 AM
Portable in the sense that it works irrespective of the actual drive that the USB gets mapped to but not part of the Portable Apps suite.

On 23/09/2013 11:41 AM, guessing wrote:

And this is how I've always used it. But I noticed that Dropout was submitted/offered as a portable app. So I thought there was a way to put it in it's own subfolder, like all the other portableapps, and Dropput would still index the entires USB drive from it's subfolder location.

Sep 23, 2013 at 2:47 AM
OK, thanks for the dialogue.