some info needed

Dec 9, 2012 at 11:22 PM

I am building a personal portable library for research. Right now it has 40,000 books and occupies about 170 GB of hard drive space. I can use windows indexing, but that makes Windows very balky and unresponsive. I need to be able to search inside all these documents, and be able to transport the drive, for obvious reasons of convenience. So, I have several questions I hope you can answer for me.

My library consists of pdf, epub, djvu, txt and mobi files. I'm not a big fan of mobi or things kindle, and prefer pdf and epub. djvu (with text in it) is useful, but most djvu files seem to be sans text. Still, some of my files are djvu with text in them. I need an indexer that will allow me to search inside all these file types. Is Dropout capable of indexing all of these file formats?

I add books to the library on a regular basis. Will Dropout scan the folder every time I start Dropout up and add it to its index?

Can Dropout handle 40,000+ books?

How long will it take for it to index that much data?

How big is the index relative to the collective file size (e.g. 170 GB of files = about 50 GB of index ???)?

Have a great day, and I look forward to your response!

Cheers,

Stuart Studebaker

Coordinator
Dec 9, 2012 at 11:31 PM
Hi Stuart,

Not sure about all of those file types, it used Filters that are installed on the computer. Windows uses the same method, if it can't find a filter it checks to see if it is a text file. It does rescan each time you open the exe.

It is going to take while to index that many files, the slowest part is extracting the content using the Filter. It will work though, not sure of the size.

Thanks
Tim

On 10/12/2012 10:22 AM, misterstudebaker wrote:

I am building a personal portable library for research. Right now it has 40,000 books and occupies about 170 GB of hard drive space. I can use windows indexing, but that makes Windows very balky and unresponsive. I need to be able to search inside all these documents, and be able to transport the drive, for obvious reasons of convenience. So, I have several questions I hope you can answer for me.

My library consists of pdf, epub, djvu, txt and mobi files. I'm not a big fan of mobi or things kindle, and prefer pdf and epub. djvu (with text in it) is useful, but most djvu files seem to be sans text. Still, some of my files are djvu with text in them. I need an indexer that will allow me to search inside all these file types. Is Dropout capable of indexing all of these file formats?

I add books to the library on a regular basis. Will Dropout scan the folder every time I start Dropout up and add it to its index?

Can Dropout handle 40,000+ books?

How long will it take for it to index that much data?

How big is the index relative to the collective file size (e.g. 170 GB of files = about 50 GB of index ???)?

Have a great day, and I look forward to your response!

Cheers,

Stuart Studebaker

Dec 11, 2012 at 3:14 AM

thanks Tim! One last question:

I add books to the library on a regular basis. Will Dropout scan the folder every time I start Dropout up and add it to its index? OR do I have to force it by rescanning the book folder?

best,

SS

Coordinator
Dec 11, 2012 at 3:29 AM

It starts automatically, it will check for new files or ones that have a later modified date.

On 11/12/2012 2:14 PM, misterstudebaker wrote:

thanks Tim! One last question:

I add books to the library on a regular basis. Will Dropout scan the folder every time I start Dropout up and add it to its index? OR do I have to force it by rescanning the book folder?

best,

SS

Dec 11, 2012 at 4:50 AM

so I downloaded it, and everytime it hits a file larger than 20 megs, it chokes and stops. This is suboptimal.

Dec 14, 2012 at 8:31 PM

Reinstalled, ran it over night - all is well - great app so far!